Case Study Highlights
- $10,000 in revenue
- Part of a $30,000 – $40,000 annual buy from Pepsi
- Cross-promoted Pepsi and Power 107.5’s upcoming event
I recently spoke about this contest during a How Radio Can Drive Revenue & Qualified Leads with Promotions webinar. Here is my top takeaway about how radio can find huge success – and drive results for advertisers – with online promotions:
WCKX-FM (Power 107.5) is an urban radio station in Columbus, Ohio with a focus on current R&B & hip-hop. The station is a part of Radio One and has a DMA of 32.
We had several goals for the promotion:
- To find a unique and exciting way to engage our audience
- To promote our annual Powerfest event
- To strengthen our relationship with Pepsi, a regular advertiser of ours
When we spoke with Pepsi, we found that they had several distinct goals as well:
- To create an ownable branded music experience
- To drive brand awareness among millennials through exclusive local events
- To create a local viral photo campaign
The solution to all of these goals – both ours and Pepsi’s – was the Pepsi Suite Experience selfie contest.
Pepsi was the title sponsor of the contest, as well as a sponsor of Power 107.5’s Powerfest event and the primary sponsor of the Pepsi Suite Experience, a VIP celebrity event during Powerfest weekend.
In order to enter the Pepsi Suite Experience contest, people had to take a selfie with a bottle or can of Pepsi. As you can see, people in our market had a lot of fun with this requirement!
The randomly selected winner received a prize package including 2 tickets to Powerfest and access to the exclusive Pepsi Suite Experience VIP celebrity event, which featured the opportunity to interact with Power 107.5 staff, special guests, and surprise artists.
There were new guest appearances every 20 minutes during the party, which sustained excitement and energy throughout. Listeners got to interact with sports mascots like the Columbus Crew Cat, a local cheerleading and marching band squad, breakdancers and other local celebrities all while creating an incredibly positive brand experience for Pepsi.
You can see even more photos from the Pepsi Suite Experience in this gallery.
We heavily promoted the contest with all of the assets available to us:
- Teaser video on mycolumbuspower.com and Instagram
- Mentions on air
- Ads and featured stories on our website
- On-site promotions
- Text blast to our promotional database
- Social media posts on all of our platforms, including Facebook & Twitter
Our tagline throughout the campaign was “Grab a Pepsi, take a pic, and enter now!”
The Pepsi Suite Experience brought in $10,000 in revenue, and was part of a larger $30,000 – $40,000 annual buy from Pepsi.
The contest received 102 submissions, which is great for a photo contest with a specific requirement for entry. We also had more than 3,000+ social media mentions and 275,000+ digital impressions.
The party itself was a huge success, and we had more than 100 listeners attend. Pepsi was very pleased with the positive branding and viral success of this promotion!